F-1 Reinstatement

When an F-1 student’s I-20 is terminated, the student loses status/becomes “out of status”.  There are two options to regain active status.

 1. Travel Option

Depart the U.S. and re-enter with a new initial I-20 from the school where you lost status or from a new school authorized to issue I-20’s. This option requires the student to return to his/her home country. The student may also need a new visa issued by the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the student’s home country.

2.  Reinstatement Option

Not everyone is eligible for reinstatement. The common eligibility requirements are below. 

  • You have not been out of status for more than 5 months;
  • You are enrolled full time or plan to enroll full time as soon as possible;
  • You have not been employed without authorization;
  • You are not in deportation proceedings;
  • You lost status for reasons beyond your control; and
  • You do not have a record of repeated or willful violations or other unlawful activity.

Get Free Consultation today to find out whether you are eligible!