Naturalization Certificate or Citizenship Certificate Replacement

A Complete Guide

Updated on 03/18/2023

Losing a naturalization certificate or citizenship certificate can be unsettling and problematic. It is needed to prove your citizenship for a variety of reasons such as obtaining a passport. Fortunately, there is a way to replace both certificates. We’ll explain how this is done, how long it takes to receive the replacement and the fee you will need to pay. There are other reasons for replacing your naturalization certificate or citizenship certificate, and we will explain below.

Naturalization Certificate or Citizenship Certificate

The form that is used to file for a replacement is the same in both cases. The two types of certificates differ only in the way citizenship was acquired since both carry the same rights of citizenship. For instance, a certificate of citizenship is granted to those who acquired citizenship through their U.S. citizen parent. Alternately, a certificate of naturalization is granted because the lawful permanent resident successfully completed the U.S. naturalization process.

Naturalization Certificate or Citizenship Certificate Replacement

If you lose your naturalization/citizenship certificate or if it was damaged or stolen, you can apply for a replacement. Usually, the certificate owner will apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to have the certificate replaced. This is done by submitting Form N-565. The submitted application form must be accompanied by the filing fee (if applicable) and in compliance with the instructions.

Reasons for Replacing a Naturalization Certificate or Citizenship Certificate

The following are reasons for requesting a new certificate of naturalization or certificate of citizenship:

  • The certificate holder lost their original certificate or it was stolen or damaged beyond repair. A fee is charged for this service.
  • The USCIS made a clerical error when preparing the certificate. There is no fee for this service.
  • The original certificate is incorrect not due to USCIS’s error. A fee is charged for this service.
  • The original certificate is mutilated. A fee is charged for this service.
  • The certificate holder had a name change due to marriage, divorce or for another legal reason, and the name on the certificate should be changed also. There is a fee for doing this.
  • A U.S. state-ordered document or a court order was issued to change the certificate holder’s date of birth, and the date needs to be changed on the certificate. Note: this is only possible with a certificate of citizenship. It is not permitted for a naturalization certificate. A fee is charged.
  • The certificate holder underwent a gender change and has certification issued by a doctor or court or has a government-issued document. A replacement certificate can be issued with the appropriate information. There is a fee for doing this.
  • In some cases, a naturalization certificate holder needs a specific certificate of naturalization to prove they are a United States citizen. There is a fee for doing this.

Ways to Replace Naturalization Certificate or Citizenship Certificate

There are two ways to file for a naturalization certificate replacement or to replace a citizenship certificate. Both are effective and easy to follow methods.

Filing Online

  • To do this, you must first create an online account. Go to the USCIS page to create a personal account. It is important to never share this account with another person. Throughout the online process, you will be able to communicate with the USCIS directly and safely.
  • Go to the online account sign-up page, and enter your email account. After this, all communication from USCIS will use this email. A confirmation email is sent to the email that is provided in the first step. Check it to confirm the email you entered is correct. If  the confirmation email is not in your inbox, check your junk or spam folders as well.
  • Review the terms of use, and check the box indicating you agree.
  • Next, you will be asked to create a password. You will also be asked to indicate how to receive a verification code that you will enter each time you enter your account. This is done for your account security.
  • If you need to reset your password at any time, instructions are given on the account login page.
  • Once you have an account, you will need to fill out the online application form and submit any required evidence to receive a replacement certificate for either citizenship or naturalization.
  • Fees must be paid electronically if you want to file for replacement certificates online.
  • After filing online, you will be able to see updates and case history to your case when login the account. If further evidence is needed to process your application, you will be able to upload it through the online account.

Filing on Paper

Form N-565 can be downloaded online and printed out at USCIS’s website. Once you have done this, it is important to read all instructions and follow them closely. Failure to do this can lead to substantial delays. For instance, the N-565 form must not only be completed correctly, it must also be signed. You must also pay the filing fee. In addition, make sure you attach all required evidence and supporting documentation that is needed for the N-565 application.

Addresses where you can submit the form depend on how you are going to send it. The addresses are listed below:

Sending the form via USPS regular or priority mail:

Attn: N-565
P.O. Box 20050
Phoenix, AZ  85036-0050

Sending the form via USPS express mail, UPS, DHL or FedEx:

Attn: N-565 (Box 20050)
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Ste. 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034-4850

If you submit the N-565 form via mail, you will receive a receipt notice from USCIS in the mail to confirm it was received. You will also be given instructions on how to set up an online account. This allows you to track the form and its history online. If you’d rather not set up an online account, you will receive notices of the request’s status through the mail.

Filing Fee for N-565

The filing fee is $555. As mentioned above, filing fee is not required if the USCIS made a clerical error when preparing the certificate of naturalization or certificate of citizenship and you request to replace a new one.

Processing time for N-565

Generally, it will take 8-12 months for USCIS to adjudicate the form N-565. If you think your application is outside the normal processing time, you can make an e-request to push USCIS to process it as soon as possible.

Let an Experienced Immigration Lawyer Help

At, you will get an immigration lawyer help you from applying for naturalization to replacing a naturalization certificate or citizenship certificate. The process may seem complicated, and in some ways, it is. We offer you the advantage of our experience and the knowledge that the form will be submitted without any mistakes that can increase the time it takes to receive your certificate. Learn more about how we can help you.

DYgreencard — Application preparation + lawyer review, at an affordable price.

Related Topics:

(Copyright by To copy or distribute any of its content must be marked with the sentence “copied or distributed from”.)